Irene N. Watts
Irene N. Watts was born in Berlin, Germany. At an early age, she was inspired to make up stories when her grandfather gave her a puppet theatre. In 1938, she was part of a mass evacuation of Jewish children out of Germany, known as Kindertransport. Seven-year-old Watts was sent to London, England. She had to leave behind the puppet theatre, but continued to make up stories.
Watts was educated in England and Wales, obtaining an Honours degree in Modern History. She then became an elementary school teacher, and had four children.
In 1968, Watts and her family moved to Canada. They first settled on Hobbema Reserve near Edmonton, where Watts taught drama. After a while, they moved into Edmonton, and Watts became the artistic director of Wheels and Wings, a group that tours Canada performing plays for students.
Watts’ love of the ocean made B.C. her ideal home, and she has lived here for over twenty-five years. She now has eight grandchildren. She writes plays for students of various ages, and helps other playwrights (both students and adults) develop their skills.
In 2001, Watts won the Playwrights’ Union of Canada’s Lifetime membership for outstanding contribution to Canadian drama and theatre.
Bio by Niki B.
- Flower, a novel, Tundra Books, 2005
- A Telling Time, illustrated by Kathryn E. Shoemaker. Tradewind Books, 2004
- Finding Sophie, Tundra Books, 2002
- One For Day/One For Night, Tundra Books, 2002
- Remember Me, Tundra Books 2000
- Two For The Show: Solo And We'LL Be Fine, Playwrights Canada Press 1999 (In An Anthology Of Scenes For Student Actors.)
- Goodbye-Marianne, Tundra Books 1998
- Beware of the Dog, with Bruce Kellett. PUC, 1997
- This Pet's Allowed, One Act Musical With Bruce Kellett. Playwrights Union Of Canada.
- Goodbye Marianne. Scirocco Drama, 1995
- The Fish Princess, Tundra Books, 1996
- Making Stories, Pembroke Publishers 1992 (Ideas For Building And Dramatizing Stories.)
- Just A Minute, Pembroke Publishers 1990 (Ten Plays And Drama Activities For Students.)
- The Great Detective Party, Pembroke Publishers 1989 (Theme Games For Children.)
- Once Upon A Time. Playwrights Union Of Canada 1988
- The Paper Bag Princess & Other Stories By Robert Munsch. Annick Press. Playwrights Union Of Canada.? (Stage Adaptation.)
- Tales From Tolstoy, Playwrights Union Of Canada. 1983
- Once Upon a Time. Toronto: 1982